Friday, August 22, 2008

What We've Been Up To

We've started a financial planning program. If you have any type of debt, I seriously suggest you check it out. I'm blessed to work at a CU that promotes thrift among its members and also amongst its employees. It's called Financial Peace University and Kyle and I officially start classes on September 30 (the CU is paying for its employees to take the course). It basically teaches you how to get out of debt and save for the future. We have credit cards, student loans, vehicles, etc. and I am excited to learn a new way to get out of the cycle. :) I actually did some research on it before hand so Kyle and I could get a jump start on it. :) I'm hoping he'll learn how to budget because that has been a struggle with us. I grew up in a family where my mother controlled the "pocket book" (and she still does) while my father was the primary bread winner (and still is!) I wondered why dad would never say anything--I finally asked my mom and I guess the answer is that he always loses the checkbook, debit card, etc. so it's just easier for her to be in charge! My parents didn't just hand us money growing up--we had to earn it through various chores, etc. Kyle's grew up in a totally different environment. (as in complete opposite) and budgeting wasn't really part of the equation. We sometimes struggle with that because (like my mother) I am pretty controlling when it comes to our finances! This is also something I'm hoping to work on---I'd like it to be more equal but don't really know if that is possible?

2 comments:

Brad Bodin said...

Dave Ramsey rocks! Al and I have been through his course. Good luck!

Amanda Leigh said...

Live like no one else! so later you can LIVE like no one else!!! :) thanks for being my accountability partner!! :)