Kyle and I elected to have my blood tested for birth defects based on his family history. Well, today we heard back on our screening for birth defects. Everything is within normal limits! I AM SO THANKFUL! My biggest concern was the screening for down syndrome. I, quite honestly, had been having mixed emotions about it and was quite anxious to know the results.
Kyle's older sister, my beautiful sister-in-law, Gretchen is 30. She has down syndrome. She is the absolute sweetest person you could ever meet. Her heart knows no evil and she only sees the good in people. Every time she sees me, she hugs me and tells me she loves me. Several times she has told me that she is so happy to have a sister. When we called to tell her we were having a baby, she yells, "I"M GOING TO BE AN AUNT!!" And proceeded to tell everyone she lives with that she is going to be an aunt. She bumped into my mom at Wal-Mart and says, "I'm going to be an aunt!" She told my mom that she wants us to have a girl :)
I have learned so much from Gretchen and from Kyle's family when it comes to special needs individuals. To be quite honest, before becoming a part of his family, I would have been devastated to learn that I was expecting a child with down syndrome. That is all Kyle has ever known. Kyle and his family treat her as they treat any other member of the family. I was inclined to give Gretchen "special treatment" when they were inclined to treat her normally. Early on, I had expressed my fears to Kyle about someday having a child a with down syndrome. He didn't understand my fear and simply told me that we could handle it. He's been handling it his entire life. I am so thankful for Gretchen. I am so thankful for Kyle and his family. I am thankful for the miracle we have been blessed with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment